Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Beliefnet Quiz

About once every week or so I search "Adventist" on Technorati to see who's blogging about my church and what they're writing. The majority of occurrences of the word on blogs are in results from a "Belief-O-Matic" quiz on Beliefnet.com that supposedly tells you what faith group you most closely align with (if you didn't already know). Well, I figured today I'd finally break down, take the quiz, and see how orthodox (not that Orthodox) I am.

After warning me that it assumes no "legal liability" for my "ultimate fate" (nice to know I'm in good hands), the Belief-O-Matic rendered these results:

1. Seventh Day Adventist (100%)

2. Orthodox Quaker (94%)

3. Eastern Orthodox (91%)

4. Roman Catholic (91%)

5. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (88%)

6. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (63%)

7. Hinduism (61%)

8. Orthodox Judaism (60%)

9. Islam (48%)

10. Jehovah's Witness (48%)

11. Liberal Quakers (48%)

12. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (46%)

13. Sikhism (44%)

14. Baha'i­ Faith (42%)

15. Unitarian Universalism (38%)

16. Jainism (36%)

17. Mahayana Buddhism (29%)

18. Theravada Buddhism (28%)

19. Reform Judaism (27%)

20. Neo-Pagan (27%)

21. New Age (20%)

22. Secular Humanism (20%)

23. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (18%)

24. Nontheist (15%)

25. Scientology (15%)

26. Taoism (14%)

27. New Thought (11%)

Well, I guess I'm well within the Adventist fold, except that I took the quiz twice. The difference between "Orthodox Quaker (100%)" and what you see here hinges on whether I believe baptism is necessary for salvation or not. Unfortunately the Belief-O-Matic doesn't offer the option of a nuanced answer on that point. Maybe that's a topic for another post...

No comments:

Post a Comment