- A conflict with another church member or the pastor.
- Discouragement over personal problems and a growing guilt because of an inability to live up to biblical ideals.
- A growing disinterest in spiritual things because of a neglected devotional and prayer life.
- A perception that the church is no longer relevant to life and does not meet felt needs.
Another good list is the "Signs of Fading Interest" in the church:
- Irregular church attendance
- A critical or ambivalent attitude toward the church and its leadership.
- A change in habit patterns--or a return to old ones.
- Increasing withdrawal from the fellowship of the church.