Sunday, June 19, 2005

Sermon Summary



Since I'm perparing simi-cogent presentations
known as sermons to share on a weekly basis, I've decided sumarize them in apokalupto. Hence, my first sermon summary:

I believe that the story of the Good Samaritan is the clearest definition of kindness we can find in the Bible (Luke 10:25-37). It shows that kindness is a giving of ones self without expecting return. Through the parable Jesus points out that kindness is an expression of love, the love of God and ones neighbor.

Both the Good Samaritan and the traveler represent Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ is God giving of Himself, giving everything, to show his love for us. Jesus came while we were helpless and gave Himself completely to rescue us, not expecting anything in return, simply because loved us. The Bible calls this the kindness of God (Eph. 2:7).

But Jesus resuce from sin is not rescue for us to sin. His kindness has the power to transform us into kind people. Thus, the traveler represents Jesus, for whatever we've done to the worst off, we've done it to Him (Matt. 25:40). This is how we experience a relationship with God. He shows kindness to us, and we continue (Rom 11:22) in that kindness by experiencing it on a daily basis and than spreading it to those with whom we come in contact.


There. Thirty minutes squeezed into three paragraphs. That's the folly of preaching. It makes me wonder why I bother to say anything at all. But this sermon impressed me with the need for more kindness in my own life.

I don't think I'm a very kind person. I often ignore the needs of others, unless someone's watching me, because it's too much of a bother to connect. There's a selfishness involved that the Holy Spirit is convicting me I have. I think a more powerful sermon is one that's lived, not just preached.

No comments:

Post a Comment